Sara K. Larsen - Thursday, February 06, 2014
I have been traveling a lot lately so I thought I would share some of what I do to stay fit when I'm on the road. My latest trip was to New Orleans for the Rock n' Roll Half Marathon
. I went down with the Winter Warrior group from Chicago Endurance Sports
. I've been coaching with them all winter and it was awesome to see so many of the participants achieve their goal of running a half marathon.
Staying fit while traveling should not be complicated. It's best to keep things simple. I believe a healthy lifestyle is all about balance and I don't believe you should deprive yourself. New Orleans is famous for their beignets and seafood and I would never recommend restricting these foods. It's all about moderation and listening to your body.
Here are my tips on how to stay fit while traveling:
- Pack Healthy Snacks. You don't want to end up starving with fast food being your only option. Instead, prepare snack-sized bags of your favorite snacks that you can keep with you. Some good choices include nuts, peanut butter packets, oatmeal, lara bars, and fruit.
- Walk Everywhere. Walking/running is the best way to explore a new city. Before you travel, do some research to find a local path, park, or gym. Try to walk to more of your destinations rather than taking a cab.
- Get Your Rest. Of course you are going to want to see and do as much as you can, but staying up all night will take a toll on your immune system. Sleep will also help prevent food cravings.
- Be Selective with Your Food Choices. Order what you are craving, but split it with a friend or ask for a to-go box to place half the entree in the box to eat later. Or you can order and salad for dinner if you're craving your favorite dessert.
- Stay Hydrated. Drinking water is very important when you are traveling. Most people turn to sugary drinks and alcohol while traveling, which will eventually cause dehydration and fatigue. Bring a reusable water bottle and refill at water fountains.
- Have Fun. The most important thing is to enjoy yourself. This might be your only time visiting this location so don't deprive yourself. Listening to your body and what its telling you is very important to your health so take the time to rest, relax, and have fun!
What other tips do you have for staying fit while traveling?